The second annual writing competition is here!
All entries will be judged by the New Nature team and writer Dominic Couzens. Entries can be written in any style, but must be a maximum of 600 words and focus on the subject matter: ‘A Special Place’.
The Closing date: 10th May 2018.
Winners to be revealed in our September issue and on our website, however all winners will be contacted beforehand. Participants must be aged 30 and under and from the UK.
1st Prize – £50 E-Voucher to spend on the Big Wild Thought website; sustainable clothing with a wildlife theme that supports wildlife charities
2nd Prize – A year’s free membership to The Botanical Society of Britain & Ireland (BSBI). The lucky winner will be invited to write an account of their year’s membership which will be published in the News and Views pages of their website, and three natural history books from White Owl Books
Work must be submitted by 10th May 2019 by email to email@example.com. The email must contain your full name, place of residence, age and email address. Please attach your piece as a word document. Please send your piece within an email which has writing competition and your full name and age in the subject space, ie:
Subject: Writing Competition Andrew Aardvark 21
Any submissions without these details will not be accepted. Good luck!
About the judge:
Dominic Couzens is a writer who has penned nearly 30 books. He is a keen birdwatcher and runs bird trips in the UK. He regularly features in magazines such as BBC Wildlife and on television programmes such as Autumnwatch. www.birdwords.co.uk
Find out more about the competition prizes:
Big Wild Thought – £50 E-Voucher to spend on their website
“Big Wild Thought is a new clothing brand, founded in 2018 by us Laura and Liam. We decided that we were going to put both our designer heads together and create a brand that allows people to wear and care at the same time. Our main goal is to help animal conservation efforts around the world. For every item sold, we donate at least ten per cent of the retail sale to a relevant animal charity.” www.bigwildthought.co.uk
The Botanical Society of Britain & Ireland – 1 year full membership
“The Botanical Society of Britain & Ireland (BSBI) is proud to support the New Nature Writing Competition and we are offering a prize of a year’s full membership of the BSBI (current annual subscription is £30). The lucky winner will enjoy all the benefits of membership and, at the end of the year, will be invited to write an account of their year’s membership – what they liked and any ideas for improvement. This account will be published (possibly in a slightly edited form) on the News & Views pages of our website and any comments and suggestions will be considered in full by our ruling Council. We’re keen to hear from young naturalists and we are listening!” www.bsbi.org
White Owl – Three books (Hidden Nature, A History of Trees, Garden Wildlife)
White Owl is an exciting new imprint from Pen & Sword, launched in January 2017. White Owl publishes informative and entertaining titles by expert authors covering a wide variety of topics including healthy eating, lifestyle, wellbeing, photography, nature and gardening. www.whiteowlbooks.co.uk
Brambleby Books – Three books (Walking with Birds, Making Wildlife Ponds, British and Irish Butterflies)
Brambleby Books specialises in natural history, with an emphasis on biodiversity, conservation and the environment, by narrative descriptions, often interfaced with poetry and/or the visual arts. www.bramblebybooks.co.uk
TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR NEW NATURE WRITING COMPETITION
1. This competition is open to residents of the UK aged 30 and under, except the editorial team of New Nature.
2. Entry closes on 12pm Friday 10th May 2019. The winners will be contacted via email by the end of September. Entrants must follow the entry guidelines as set out by New Nature.
3. Entry is limited to one email.
4. No purchase is necessary to enter.
Eligibility of Entries
5. Only entries that follow the required entry process will be considered. The Promoter accepts no responsibility for incomplete or corrupted entries or entries that fail to reach the Promoter.
6. No bulk, third party or organised group entries will be permitted.
The Winning Entries
7. The prize entitles the one winner to the specified prize with in this article.
8. The winner will be selected after deliberation from the New Nature team and Dominic Couzens.
9. New Nature’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
10. The prize/s are non-transferable and cannot be redeemed for cash. New Nature reserves the right to change or withdraw the prize/s at any given time.
11. By entering this competition you confirm that you have the legal capacity to do so and agree to these terms and conditions.
12. New Nature reserves the right to (i) cancel this promotion, (ii) cancel or refuse any individual’s entry and (iii) amend these terms and conditions (and will use reasonable endeavours to notify changes to entrants and potential entrants).